History and management
The reservoir was first flooded in 1954. The wildlife on the site increased so much that it was listed a Site of Special Scientific interest in 1966. Southern Water recognised the importance of the wildlife at the shallow western end and designated this area as an informal nature reserve, excluding boating and fishing.
Iron rich streams and a number of old slag heaps along the river are relics of a busy iron industry.
Weir Wood Reservoir is owned by Southern Water. However conservation work is managed in partnership between Southern Water, ESCC and the Friends of Weir Wood.
The Friends of Weir Wood help monitor the wildlife and add labour and financial support towards many of the projects on site.